The municipality of Lapuyan shall emerge as an agro-industrialized town with self-reliant and productive citizenry enjoying equal opportunities socially, economically and politically atmosphere of peace, justice and healthy economy, god-centered and pro-people community.
In order to ensure the well being of its people, the LGU of Lapuyan has the mission to uplift the quality of life of every constituent in the area by providing their basic needs, maintaining the quality of its environment and ensuring a just and humane society through a committed public service . Secure and empower citizenry enjoying the fruits of sustainable development by year 2020.
Lapuyan (Subanen:G'benwaD'lepuyan) is a 4th class municipality in the province of Zamboanga del Sur,Philippines. Lapuyan is politically subdivided into 26 barangays. These are Bulawan, Carpok, Danganan, Dansal, Dumara, Linokmadalum, Luanan, Lubusan, Mahalingeb, Mandeg, Maralag, Maruing, Molum, Pampang, Pantad, Pingalay, Poblacion, Salambuyan, San Jose, Sayog, Tabon, Talabab, Tiguha, Tininghalang, Tipasan and Tugaya.
The municipality of Lapuyan is located in the southern section of the Zamboanga del Sur province. It has an aggregate area of 17,325 hectares (42,811 acres) of land. Lapuyan was created into a regular municipality by virtue of Executive Order No. 273 on October 16, 1957, by President Carlos P. Garcia upon the recommendation of Senator Roseller T. Lim, Gov. Bienvenido Ebarle and the Provincial Board of Zamboanga del Sur. The municipality was formally inaugurated on April 21, 1958, with the induction into office of the following municipal officials: Mayor Coco I. Sia, Vice Mayor Bayang Guiaya, Councilors Dr. Vicente Imbing, Datu Manupak Dakula, Benigno Bualan, Javier Suico, Catalino Fernandez and Canuto Lingating.
Upon creation into a regular municipality, the existing barrios within the jurisdiction were as follows: Poblacion,Kumalarang, Maruing, Carpok, Bulawan, Lakewood and Sayog.
The municipality of Lapuyan is located on the northern shore of Dumanquilas Bay, bounded on the east by the municipality of San Miguel, on the west by Dumanquilas Bay and the municipalities of Malangas, Buug and Kumalarang, to the north by the municipalities of Lakewood and Tigbao, and on the south by Dumanquilas Bay and the municipality of Margosatubig, all of Zamboanga del Sur. The mother municipality of Lapuyan is Margosatubig, Zamboanga del Sur. In the olden days, the Subanens did not have schools; parents were in charge of schooling them. In a family of singers, the mother or the father sang Subanen epics and poems, and read legends and stories. Mothers trained their daughters to weave abaca cloth; the father usually trained their son to do wood carvings or weave rattan baskets and to make musical instruments out of bamboo and wood. When they came into contact with the Muslims, they learned about the teachings of Islam. Subanens of Lapuyan had early contact with the Spaniards who built a garrison in Margosatubig during the mid-19th century; a school for the natives was opened by Spanish priests but the Subanens misunderstood the message of Christianity. They were scared to see a stick (the cross) with a dead man (Jesus) on it.
The cross, which they called "karehus", was interpreted differently; the early Catholic missionaries were thought of as cannibals. With the coming of the Americans, Protestant missionaries brought big picture rolls showing among others, the baby Jesus and the Mother Mary. The old folks associated these stories with their own tribal beliefs of a "Diwata" or God-child, a savior of mankind. With this understanding, Subanen elders now encouraged their children to go to the mission school run by these American missionaries. In 1912, Mr. & Mrs. David O. Lund opened a mission school in Sunglupa in the village of Thimuay Imbing, now a part of the Municipality of Lapuyan. Thimuay Imbing accepted the new religion, a Protestant denomination of the Christian and Missionary Alliance whose headquarters were located in Nyac, New York, in 1914; they constructed a semi-permanent-building called the Pampang Tabernacle where the Subanen worshipped. Next to the Tetuan Church in Zamboanga City, the Lapuyan Tabernacle became the first Alliance Church in Mindanao, if not the entire Philippines. There were further changes in the way of life of the Subanen in Lapuyan with the opening of government schools in 1919.
The Subanen have now largely absorbed Western culture: notably in the way they dress and the way they build their houses, however they still have managed to preserve many of their customs and traditions.
|Population of Lapuyan as of August 1, 2015 from Philippine Statistics Authority|