Mahayag is aiming high to achieve a better agri-industry, functional literacy, self-reliant municipality with dedicated public servants and empowered, peaceful and God-fearing citizenry working hand-in-hand towards a well-balanced environment in the face of climate change and diverse cultural community for sustainable development and globally competitive economy.
We shall advocate an independent economy through adoption of sustainable package of technology, increased local revenue anchored in People's Initiative Agenda integrated in a good developmental plan carried out by the accountable and knowledgeable public servants and well-educated and responsible citizenry.
A swampy place, darkened by forest trees and wild shrubs inspired the Subano natives to name the locale "Boyed Mahayag", a native term for a forested area.
Sometime during the early part of 1939, the area which was a virgin forest was explored and partially occupied by Christian settlers, who were pioneered by Mr. Jesus Manlegro and Mr. Zacarias dela Torre.
The promising agricultural area strongly aroused their desire to own lands and founded spiritual determination despite various difficulties and the loss of many lives. Considering themselves inferior to the Christian settlers, the Sunbanos retreated to the mountainous areas and settled there. The locale was then a barangay of Molave. However, this area was called "Dao" because of big and luxuriant growth of Dao trees.
In 1956, Javier Ariosa, directed the construction of a feeder road joining Molave to Dao. The newly constructed road facilitated access of economic goods from Dao to surrounding municipalities and eventually became the center of trade and commerce. Businessmen from other towns frequently visited there. That was the start of the social and economic progress of the area. The feeling of prosperity prompted local leaders to aspire and firmly work for the creation of Dao into town. Majority of the pioneer Christian settlers decided that Mahayag should be the official name of the area.
On May 16, 1960, His Excellency Carlos P. Garcia, then President of the Republic of the Philippines, signed and issued Executive Order No. 393 making Mahayag a municipality with Honorable Saturnino Mendoza as the first appointed Municipal Mayor. The temporary seat of the municipal government was in the cold storage house of the Maglinte family. Mr. Dela Torre and Mr. Alquizar then donated a portion of their land which is now the present site of the Municipal Building, Health Center, Gymnasium, Public Market and other business establishments.
Brgy. Poblacion measures approximately one hundred hectares but in 1979, the area of Poblacion was expanded to about two hundred seventy hectares.
At the time of the creation of the municipality, there were 29 existing barangays with two others created later. However, with the creation of the municipality of Don Mariano Marcos (now Sominot), barangays Lantawan and Upper Sicpao, formerly part of Mahayag, were taken.
In response to the needs and clamor of the local constituents of Sitio Sandal, Compound and Pilas from their mother barangays San Isidro, Panagaan and Malubo, the three barangays were created by virtue of SB Resolutions No. 115, 116 and 117 all dated September 16, 1983 during the time of Hon. Mayor Josue Campomanes which was duly sanction by the MILG with an appointed sets of barangay officials. However, sometime on the early part of 1995, the said barngays were delisted by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) due to some lacking requirements of their creation specifically the holding of plebiscite from their mother barangays duly sanctioned by the Commission of Election (COMELEC). So, at present, the municipality of Mahayag has 29 barangays.
|Population of Mahayag as of August 1, 2015 from Philippine Statistics Authority|
|Lourmah (Lower Mahayag)||1,831|
|Lower Salug Daku||2,215|
|Lower Santo Niño||1,451|
|Poblacion (Upper Mahayag)||6,908|
|Upper Salug Daku||1,149|
|Upper Santo Niño||2,090|