Margosatubig is a progressive and self-sufficient municipality inhabited by pro-God and healthy people who are empowered and pro-active living on a well-planned, orderly and environment-friendly community set in a clean and safe environment and led by a transparent, accountable, competent and systematic local government.
To pursue a committed, efficient and effective mechanism in the catering of basic services that will result to a desired level of satisfaction among the constituents and clientele in pursuing a more dedicated, effective and efficient governance.
Origin & Early Beginnings
History is obscured by lack of material information which constraint to show how Margosatubig really originated. A journey through time, and by the stories which have been told and retold from ancestors to kin would make one recall that the place has a rich and interesting past that make every Margosanon appreciate his early beginning.
Accordingly, at some point in the past the Subanens were believed to be the first people to have fallen in love with this land. They were gentle and timid natives who dwelt among rivers and lakes. They settled near the swift flowing river that now traverse the Margosatubig Regional Pilot School and the Guiwan district. After clearing the surrounding heavy forest, they tilled the land and lived peacefully calling their new home "MalagusTubig" patterned after the swift river current that kept changing its course towards the mouth of the Dumanquillas Bay. In the 15th century, the Spaniards arrived and found the place to be strategically located as being a natural shield from the sea. Soon it became their choice settlement changing "MalagusTubig" to its present name Margosatubig. They built a huge stone fort on top of a hill that served as their bastion against the raiding Moro pirates who used to plunder the sea and nearby Dumanquillas shores. The fort was familiarly known as Cotta Heights until in 1963 it was demolished and now the site of Pax High School. The Spaniards reigned for years and left as their heritage the beginnings of early government, the Chavacano dialect and their way of discipline which today are evident in some homes and families.
Margosatubig is an old municipality even older than the previously undivided Zamboanga province. It existed as a settlement of many migrants and native in the wake of the 19th century.
The main industry was a big sawmill called Mindanao Lumber which continued to attract settlers from different places of the Visayas and other parts of the country. There were Cebuanos, Muslims, Tagalogs, Boholanos, Chavacanos, even traders from Amoy, China who all found the place to be a fortune for economic venture.
The sawmills operation must have lasted long enough as evidenced by the saw dust that accumulated for years to significantly reclaim what we familiarly known today as Serin or San Antonio Village. With the hustle and bustle of everyday life, people learned to live together, love and intermarry with one another making the place a virtual melting pot of creed and culture.
Governance And Control
From 1917 to 1936, Margosatubig stayed as a municipal district of the city of Zamboanga. The first district President was Francisco Paragas in the years 1917 to 1920. He was followed by CosmeAtoc in 1921 - 1924; Julio Saavedra, 1925 - 1928; his son Maximo Paragas, 1929 - 1932; and Rafael Cruz in 1933 - 1936. During the Commonwealth Government and by virtue Executive Order No. 17 dated December 23, 1936 signed by President Manuel L. Quezon, Margosatubig finally became a regular and distinct municipality with eight original barrios, namely: Poblacion, Makulay, Kabatan, Lapuyan, Malangas, Kumalarang, Naga-Naga, and Talusan.
|Population of Margosatubig as of August 1, 2015 from Philippine Statistics Authority|