Official Website: http://www.pagadian.gov.ph/
Pagadian City, as the Regional Center of Western Mindanao is the center of commerce, trading and agri-based industry upholding a sustainable ecosystem, administered by a technically empowered local government, with peace-loving and culturally-united people.
To provide its constituents of the basic and the other services that are needed to enhance their dignity as a human beings, leading them to the full enjoyment of happiness in a peaceful, friendly, safe and orderly society through innovative, integrated, environmentally and culturally sensitive and gender responsive programs.
The City of Pagadian, capital of Zamboanga del Sur, is situated in the eastern part of the Zamboanga Peninsula. It is bounded on the north by the Municipality of Labangan, on the south by the Municipality of Dinas, on the east by the Pagadian Bay, and on the west by the Zamboanga mountain ranges. It is about 115 kilometers west of Ozamiz City (Misamis Oriental) and about 285 kilometers north of Zamboanga City.
Pagadian has a land area of 378.8 square kilometers and a population of 57,615 (51% in the urban area and 49% in the rural places) in 1970. Most of the settlers in the city are from Luzon and the Visayas. A majority of the populace are Cebuanos; hence, Cebuano-Visayan is the dominant dialect.
The city is an agricultural region with corn, its staple crop, as an important product. Aside from farming, the principal source of livelihood of the inhabitants is fishing. Salted or fresh fish constitutes an important export item. The noted cottage industries of the city are bakya, or wooden clog making, furniture making, and mat weaving.
The early settlers of the village were the Subanons who set up the fishing and trading village along the shore. They called their settlement as Pagadian, a corruption of the Maguindanao word "Padian" which means "marketplace". The present site of Pagadian was the old Muslim sitio of Talapukan, meaning "where the springs abound." It was under the municipal district of Labangan.
The region now called Zamboanga del Sur was once a part of the kingdom of Cachil Corralat of Kudarat. The Jesuit fathers, who started the Christianization of the natives in 1642, abandoned the missionary work in 1644 due to repeated Muslim raids.
In 1927, the first group of settlers, led by Mariano Cabrera, arrived at Pagadian. To attract more settlers, the Philippine Constabulary stationed a detachment at Dumagoc Island in order to protect the inhabitants from occasional raids of the Maranaws.
On March 23, 1937, Executive Order No. 77 of President Manuel L. Quezon created the town of Pagadian. The municipality comprised the municipal districts of Labangan and Dinas, Jose Sanson became the first elected local executive.
During the Pacific War, before the Japanese forces occupied the town, the inhabitants evacuated to the highlands. Taking advantage of the situation, the Muslims plundered and looted Pagadian. After the war, in June 1945, public and private schools were opened in the municipality.
On June 21, 1969, Republic Act No. 5478 created the Municipality of Pagadian into a city.
Pagadian City is dubbed as "the little Hongkong" of the Philippines because of its geographical similarity to the Crown Colony - at the foot of an irregular elevated land.
The city's panoramic tourist attractions are the beautiful islets, with Dumagoc as the most popular, along the Illana Bay; and the boathouses of the Sicubong tribes which dot the Pagadian short lines.
Ethnic & Cultural History
SUBANEN. A peaceful tribe living along the river banks amidst the hinterlands was the first inhabitants, and Muslims inhabited the coastal areas. The city of Pagadian got its name after the early Christian settlers died with Malaria, the most dreaded disease in that name, that they named the place "PANGADYE-AN" which means "Place To Be Prayed For”. Another version revealed when the natives did not understand a group of visiting people at that time, and asked the name of the place. Incidentally, the stranger raised a question looking up the flock of birds in his dialect, and the natives thinking about the birds, replied "GAGADIAN"
Pagadian City was once a Sitio of the municipality of Margosatubig then became a Barrio of the municipality of Labangan in the Province of Zamboanga. It was organized into a regular municipality on March 23, 1937 by virtue of Executive Order No. 77. On September 17, 1952 by virtue of the Republic Act. No. 711, Pagadian became the capital town of the province of Zamboanga del Sur.
Top 5 Do's When in the City
Ride the local tricycle, which is inclined at 45 degrees and designed specifically for the city's hilly streets.
Go on a city tour the Pagadian way. Hop on a tricycle and go around while experiencing the thrill of roller coaster-like excitement as the tricycle traverses the hilly terrain of the city in a way, it's a little like San Francisco.
Get a glimpse of the Dancing Fountain - it's the newest highlight in Pagadian right in the Plaza, near the City Hall.
Ride a horse in Rotunda on top of a hill and enjoy the fresh air and a panoramic view of the whole Pagadian City at the viewing deck building.
Buy some fresh seafood at the City Fish Port/Agora Market.
Shop till you drop at the biggest mall owned by the city government called C3 (City Commercial Center).
Pagadian takes pride in the quality of its dried fish, sweet delicacies and handicrafts.
- 37,880 hectares OR 378.80 kilometers
- Composed of 54 barangays - 22 Urban and 32 Rural
|Population of Pagadian City as of August 1, 2015 from Philippine Statistics Authority|
|San Francisco (Pob.)||3,243|
|San Jose (Pob.)||7,443|
|San Pedro (Pob.)||7,717|
|Santa Lucia (Pob.)||8,553|